When a character might be frightened or terrified of a subject or situation, a Fear Check is made. A Fear Check is countered by Discipline or Cool.
|State of Fear||Difficulty||Example|
|Minimally Afraid||Easy (◊)||Somewhat overmatched in combat; a minimally dangerous creature; a minor threat to one’s safety.|
|Moderatley Afraid||Average (◊◊)||Obviously overmatched in combat; a dangerously aggressive creature; a credible threat to one’s safety and minimal threat to one’s life.|
|Very Afraid||Hard (◊◊◊)||Battlefield combat; a pack of aggressive creatures; a major threat to one’s safety and moderate fear for one’s life.|
|Mortally Afraid||Daunting (◊◊◊◊)||Terrifyingly intense combat; confronting a large and dangerous creature such as a rancor; overwhelming fear for one’s life.|
|Utterly Terrified||Formidable (◊◊◊◊◊)||A hopeless and terrifying situation; combat against things incomprehensible to one’s mind; being attacked by a squad of AT-ATs; fear so crippling that sanity cracks.|
|Confronting something reputed to be dangerous||1 Difficulty upgrade||Confronting an Imperial Intelligence agent; fighting Boba Fett.|
|Confronting something known to be dangerous and very rare.||2 Difficulty upgrades||Being trapped in the gullet of a krayt dragon.|
|Confronting something known to be extremely dangerous and unique||3 Difficulty upgrades||Fighting the Emperor.|
- Success: The character avoids any fear effects except those triggered by Threat.
- Failure: The character adds 1 Setback Die to each action he takes during the encounter.
- Advantage: Gain 1 Boost Die on the character’s first check. If spending multiple Advantage, grant 1 Boost Die to an additional player’s first check.
- Threat: The character suffers a number of strain equal to the number of Threat. If the check generates 3 or more Threat, the character can be staggered for his turn, instead.
- Triumph: Can be spend to cancel all previous penalties from fear checks, or spent to ensure the character need not make any additional fear checks during the encounter, no matter the source.
- Despair: The character is incredibly frightened, which increases the difficulty of all checks by one until the end of the encounter.
(Advantage and Threat can cancel out from previous Fear Checks if multiple are needed)